Friday, May 13, 2011

On this day 30 years ago....

I follow this neat site called Finding Dulcinea, which sends me an email every day about a historic happening of some sort. Today's 'on this day' took me back to elementary school....second grade to be exact!

I remember being in Music Class out back in a trailer add-on classroom when the intercom crackled to life. We listened for a few minutes before hearing the news that the Pope had been shot! Of course, we didn't truly understand the ramifications of this as eight-year-olds, but we knew it was big. Looking back, it was a volatile time....we had lived through the Iran Hostage Crisis and our President Ronald Reagan also had an attempt on his life less than 2 months earlier.

Later on, my Sunday School class members wrote get well cards and letters to the Pope, and to our amazement, we received a letter from him in return! This was such big news in 1981 that we were interviewed on WKPT tv news!!

Just thought I'd share a memory of mine with you!

1 comment:

misguided mommy said...

not the same but i remember being in computer class when they were announcing the OJ Simpson verdict....the bell was ringing but we all stayed behind to hear the not guilty

Come comment on my argument blog I need a good laugh
http://www.misguidedmommy.com/blog/527/What-is-your-best-