I'm not even sure that my word for U is actually a word, but guess what? I just coined it! LOL
What exactly is Un-familied?? It is surviving out of town without my family from Sunday-Thursday. Well, at least til Wednesday night...surely I'll make it til Thursday since I've made it this far, right?!
I'm out of town for a study related to work. I am even more honored now than I was before I got here to have been approved to serve on this committee of 16 , for it was a pretty elite group of Reading Specialists...I was the one with the shortest tenure in the field, so I provided a bit of a different take on things. It has been interesting and informative, and I am going back home with some new ideas and perspectives!
I have honestly learned several things about myself on this trip while I am UNfamilied. Wanna hear 'em?!
1. I can survive in a room by myself overnight.
I honestly worried about this one, being as that I haven't done this in over 12 years. I've either had my husband or my kids, or both, in the house with me every night, save for a few. The last time I was in a room overnight alone was when Robbie was still hospitalized after his birth and I stayed there in the hospital but didn't get to see him all night. That was NOT a good experience! However, I was very recently post-partum and was dealing with many hormones at that point. I did have a few seconds a few times of feeling that same type of anxiety come over me, but I was able to successfully squelch them, and get through it.
2. I'm not ready to wean Robbie. My body is most definitely used to feeding him, and I miss him! I pray that he hasn't decided it isn't worth it once I get home to him! Some will say I'm crazy, that I've done this for 11 months and that it would be a good time to stop...but you know what? I don't care. I'm not looking forward to opinions I'm sure I'll get about extended nursing, but it still is MY body and MINE and Robbie's decision. I actually made a pact with him...as well as you can make a pact with an 11-month-old...that if he'd not wean while I was gone, I'd nurse him for another year if he wanted. I plan on sticking to that.
3. I am ready, however, to give up pumping! I don't love it, but I have promised myself I'll do that for another month! Then he can drink whole milk at daycare and I won't have to purchase more formula! Pumping is for the birds. I'm proud of myself for sticking to it all this time, but THAT is something I won't miss!
4. I can get around a big city better than I thought I could. I always made Chris drive when we were in Richmond before. I'd still let him do it if I had a choice, but I have nothing to fear about it anymore. I can do it. I even got myself to the mall earlier, found a shorter way from the hotel to the restaurants, and am planning on taking a different route out of town than I came in...cause Google maps did NOT have the best route for me!
5. I'm still decent company for myself. I can survive without other people to talk to at meals, etc. That's a good thing to know for a wife and mommy, I believe!
6. But I do miss my family terribly and cannot WAIT to see them tomorrow!! I'm gonna smother them all with lots of kisses and lots of hugs, and snuggle the fool out of them over the next few days! They are such a pleasure and part of me that I LOVE! I can survive without them for a few days, but life is much more fun with them!!!
So happy Thursday ya'll!! Think of me as I'm driving down the interstate to my family!!