Sunday, June 21, 2009

We're at the beach!

It is SOOOO nice! We're renting a really nice house that isn't but a few years old. It's funny, the internet view of this house says that it only has 3 bedrooms, so I spent weeks worrying about how in the world we were all going to fit comfortably, and come to find out the owners just say it has 3 bedrooms so they don't get huge crowds in....but the rental company tells families! So all that worrying for nothing--we've got 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, and are just over the dunes from the beach! I was extremely tired from going back and forth to class all week and then riding all day yesterday. We got here and I was worn out and grouchy, but thankfully I had read a Bible verse that has already helped me out a lot---one about instead of being disagreeable, blessing those with whom you disagree! So I'm sure I'm gonna do lots of blessing this week! LOL

Given the stress and fatigue level, Friday and Saturday were painful days as related to fibromyalgia. On Friday I was able to get to sleep by meditating (myself! Didn't even use guided meditation!) instead of using medication, which I always like. I'm not opposed to sleeping pills when I need them, but if I can do it naturally I not only sleep better, but feel less 'drugged' the next morning. I was quite drowsy coming down the road yesterday so I dozed on and off. I was having some hip pain so I also took a nap after we got here. This has been one of those times when having an invisible illness is difficult. When I say I don't feel well but can't give people who haven't been with me through this specifics of WHY, I feel like they think I'm either making it up or exaggerating. That is why I haven't come right out and told Chris' family members until now. I don't bring it up unless it is a problem...and yesterday it definitely was. It was affecting my mood, my emotions, and I really wasn't in the mood to be treated in a condescending manner....which sometimes happens in this crowd! I explained, in tears, to Chris why I was so frustrated and then walked by myself down the beach and back to calm down. I made a conscious effort to be more chipper when I got back and soon it was making a difference! That and God's Word resonating in my head both helped me get through the day til I could collapse in bed without being rude!

We went out to eat this morning for breakfast and then to the beach for several hours. The kids are having a ball! Isaac is LOVING using his body board to ride the waves in, and Adam has already built multiple sand castles. I got a bit too much sun on my arms and chest, but it isn't painful, so I think it will turn to tan tomorrow (I hope!)

Tonight we went to eat at a 'fine dining' restaurant. The food was good, but we were paying for quite a bit of atmosphere as the restaurant is ocean front. One good thing, though: the hostess complimented us as we left for how well-behaved all our children were! That is always nice to hear!

Right now I'm sitting on the covered porch listening to the waves break and looking out over the dunes to the shore....what a life! Chris' brother has gone to the beach to fish, and his wife, their kids, and our kids have gone out there to play and watch him. I'm loving that the boys are finally getting big enough that we don't have to hover over them as much and we can relax and enjoy ourselves more. Even our youngest nephew, though only 3.5, is getting more 'predictable', and as he is the only one we must "run after", we can take turns a bit with that.

What a blessing it is for us to be able to enjoy this time together with our families! I'm so glad to NOT have any homework hanging over my head, but I almost don't know what to do with myself, in a way! I'm sure I'll figure it out!

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

I'm glad you are feeling some better and having a good time. I was so jealous when I read that you were sitting on the porch listening to the waves break...that sounds like heaven! Have a great time and relax...that might be hard with the in-laws though! LOL Travel safely, love you!!