Sunday, August 23, 2009

Take a Fresh Look

This was in the September '09 Guideposts Magazine. It hit me like a ton of bricks.

How do you see yourself? You might say,"I'm not the creative type. I'm a business person. I'm good with numbers." or "I'm a teacher, not an entrepreneur." There's a certain comfort in holding on to the identity that's defined you for years. But when change happens, what God is asking you to do is go with the change.

Step away from the labels you put on yourself. They limit your thinking. They don't let you see the possibilities God sees for you....Is there something you've told yourself you can't do? Well, why not?

Look at what you're going through right now--whether it's a job loss or a change in a relationship or a new life stage--as an opportunity. You're being given the change to see yourself differently, to develop more courage, more resiliency, more faith...whatever you need to make the most of your life's journey.


--Ariane de Bonvoisin is the founder of first30days.com and author of The First 30 Days: Your Guide to Making Any Change Easier, now available in paperback.

3 comments:

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

I'm learning to take everything in life -- good and bad -- as an opportunity. This was a good reminder.

Wanda Metcalf said...

God always has big plans for us even when we can't see it that way. Let go - Let God!
http://wanda1011.blogspot.com/

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

so true! I am enjoying being done with school, doing some fill-in work at some offices, and I know that the time and place will come for me to be hired as a permanent dental hygienist!

Sometimes, I wish that I was so beyond this time of waiting and could say "Oh, me? why yes, I have been a hygienist for 20+ years!"

But then, I realize, I have been soo blessed to be able to stay at home with our three as they were growing up.

Thanks for posting this! Hope that all is going well at your place!
Blessings & Aloha!