Monday, November 12, 2007

Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving is going to be very different than any in my 34 years past. This year, I'm spending Thanksgiving with my inlaws. I've never been away from my family on Thanksgiving. My mother in law asked us to come up, and after much prayer, tears, and bouncing back and forth, I decided that there was no good reason for us NOT to go. I am biting the bullet and not being selfish, even though a huge part of me wants to stay here.

It isn't that I don't love my inlaws. I do! But spending time with them is not, shall we say, the most relaxing time in the world.....several things that I have at home, I don't have there. One big thing is that there is a big possibility that I won't have internet access. Last time we were up there, we couldn't even get it to log on. Why they are paying for it to not use it, I don't know. I also like to sleep with the TV on, which I can't do there, as there is not a TV in our bedroom. My mother in law can also be overbearing at times, so that causes difficulties.

Even though my family all lives in one town, we don't get to sit down and visit that often. We're all busy! If we didn't attend church together, we wouldn't see each other as often as we do. So to miss one of two times in a year that I usually get to enjoy spending time with my family....it is hard on me to even think about.

Chris has been very understanding and has said over and over again that we don't have to go, and if we do go, we can go up on Friday. But I need to think about the needs of the entire family and not just me. That's not to say that I won't cry...I can almost guarantee that I will. But that is what being an adult is about, right??

2 comments:

Magaritas said...

sometimes visiting your in-laws for holidays can be challenging to say the least, but if you are doing this for your family, I think that you will be glad that you did afterwards.

Misty said...

I am having my first inlaw holiday in YEARS... Maybe even close to a decade...
I have mixed anxieties too...