Sunday, November 11, 2007

What I've learned this weekend

I've learned several things, so I thought I'd share my new knowledge!

I did a Children's Sermon on Veteran's Day at church today. When doing my research, I found out why people wear poppies on Veteran's Day. It is to remember Flander's Field, a place where many soldiers are buried from WWI. In this field, poppies grow between and around the white crosses placed to mark the graves of the fallen soldiers. Did you know that? I didn't!

What else did I learn? Our sermon this morning was on Acts 9:19b-25.
Saul spent several days with the disciples in Damascus. 20At once he began to preach in the synagogues that Jesus is the Son of God. 21All those who heard him were astonished and asked, "Isn't he the man who raised havoc in Jerusalem among those who call on this name? And hasn't he come here to take them as prisoners to the chief priests?" 22Yet Saul grew more and more powerful and baffled the Jews living in Damascus by proving that Jesus is the Christ.[a]

23After many days had gone by, the Jews conspired to kill him, 24but Saul learned of their plan. Day and night they kept close watch on the city gates in order to kill him. 25But his followers took him by night and lowered him in a basket through an opening in the wall.

(quoted from Biblegateway.com)

Now, what does this mean? Our guest minister today made a great point: what if someone who was lowering Saul to the ground in this basket let go of the rope? How the face of Christianity would have been changed, and probably how history would have been affected as well! The greatest missionary effort in all of Christianity would not have taken place, and even you and I may never have heard about Christ if Saul had not become Paul and had not shared the Gospel as he did.

So here is our challenge: we don't need to let go of the rope either! We need to be committed to supporting church programs and sharing the word of Christ with others. If we don't, what child might not know about the Lord? What youth might not feel nurtured and might turn away from the church to other things where he/she is attended to? What lives might we not change? We need not keep the GREAT NEWS about the Lord to ourselves! We were told in the Great Commission to share the Lord with others! I'm preaching to myself here, too, folks--I need to do better as well.

Something else that God has shown me today: we have a small Bible study group made up of 4 women that we have been trying to meet with each week. Tonight, it was just me and my sister for most of the time, and one other lady showed up at the end. But it was good! We talked about how we needed to step out in Faith, both financially as we give to the Lord and also in our personal lives. She and I both are involved in small home-based businesses, but I have really felt like the Lord was leading me in a different direction, and if I listen to Him and follow, it would help me and her! What a blessing that God shows me where he needs me to go, and what a double blessing I get when I PAY ATTENTION and LISTEN! This is so hard sometimes--to be still and wait for Him to lead us, but doesn't it feel wonderful when we do??

OK, so I've had a sermon online today, but I thank you for reading and hope that you, too, have had a good Sunday and weekend.

Here's a question for you: What did YOU learn this weekend?


No comments: