Erin at School teacher by day, Superhero by night recently did this meme, and I couldn't resist! The gist is that I share seven things about me that relate to the holidays. You read them and agree that my seven items are awesome, then you share yours. Fun, right?
1. Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday. I love it all, except the crowds when shopping! I love it so much that I get down every year after it is over because it means that it is almost time for me to go back to work for the looooooong winter with no break unless it snows!
2. My favorite Christmas movie is "It's a Wonderful Life!" When our family got our very first VCR, we taped it on TV when it came on. I stopped it at a commercial to make sure it was taping, and ended up taping over the swimming pool scene!
3. I love lots of Christmas music, but one of my favorite songs is "Tennessee Christmas" by Amy Grant. Reminds me of my childhood, part of which was spent living in Tennessee! Even if I live across the Virginia state line, part of my will always be a Tennessee girl!
4. Our tradition growing up was to put the Christmas tree up on my sister Brenda's birthday, Dec. 14. I still would rather put the tree up near then, closer to Christmas, and then leave it up through Epiphany. This kills lots of people around here who put it up at Thanksgiving and it comes down the day after Christmas. Such a rebel, I am!
5. My favorite part of Christmas is definitely the Christmas Eve service that we hold at 11 pm at our church. What a wonderful way to bring in the day, by spending it in God's house celebrating His son's birth. It is sometimes made even more special by my Dad being asked to lead the service. When he does this, he usually has his grandkids assist in the service as acolytes. My boys are about to be old enough to get to participate in this, and boy will the tears flow then! I loved helping Dad with this service and did so for quite a few years.
6. Another tradition that I really enjoy is going Christmas caroling. When I was a little girl, we would go as a community to carol in our neighborhood and then have a big party at the Foster's house. That tradition died out as we children grew up and moved away. The Fosters have both relocated to Heaven, but their memory is still alive and well with me.
Now we go as a church group to carol to shut ins and people from our church who are in the nursing home. Sometimes we have a big crowd, but more often than not, it ends up being my family, my parents, and my sisters and their families. This is just fine with us, though I'm sure that others would enjoy it if they took the time.
7. One Christmas when I was very small, my sisters and I all spent the night in one room and thought that we would stay awake to wait for Santa. Though looking back now, I realize that we didn't stay awake all night, but to a young child it felt like it since I'd never been allowed to stay up so late! It is still a fond memory!
So how about you? Please share things about you related to the holidays, and let me know so I can come read all about 'em!