Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I miss you

Tonight, your mama said to me, "Thank you for taking care of her...."

But that is what family does. I'll never forget the day that my sister and your uncle got married. Bryan and I accidentally left you as we walked down the aisle. I didn't even realize it until we were to the narthex, and I was mortified! I thought sure I had either scarred you for life or messed up the whole wedding. Then when the pictures came back, there you were, grinning (as always) walking along with your uncle Dennis and Suzy. Always happy go lucky. Always resilient. Always finding a way to smile.

And that day as you all left...I was sick with the flu and didn't even make it to the reception....your mama said, "Welcome to the family!" and I have never been so honored, and never have I felt so loved by a family that CHOSE to call me their own.

Whether we were playing games on the floor on Thanksgiving or teasing each other about who had had their hair more colors lately, you were always my friend. Even when I probably wasn't the best friend to you, you were always caring to me.

You took pictures of my baby Isaac on his first day of preschool when I had to go to work. You made my boys' birthday cakes. You even spilled cupcakes all over your car trying to get them to me! That's a friend, I'll tell ya!

I'm so glad that we had that great conversation a week before you had to go to Heaven. I'm so glad that you followed your instincts to come pray with me. You don't know how humbled I felt that you had come to share that with me. I was thinking just minutes before I heard that horrible news about after Meadow was first born and we didn't know yet if I was having a boy or a girl, that you had lots of girl clothes to share if I needed them! Mom has a picture of us all that day...so happy.

I was so blessed by you, August. I've been attending events at Holston View my entire life, and never have I seen such a crowd as I did tonight. You were loved by so many. We all hate that your life ended so soon. I know you're happy there with your Mawmaw, though you miss your babies. I know that the last thing you wanted to do was to worry us. This happened so fast.

Know that you are loved. Know that you are missed. Know that we are all better because we knew you and were loved by you. I love you, Augie.

No comments: