Friday, July 24, 2009

Flashback Friday--How Will I Know


http://christis-blahblahblog.blogspot.com






Ah, the early Whitney days! Weren't they the greatest? I knew it was bad news for her when she hooked up with Bobby Brown, though I loved his early work as well!

But I digress! The memories that this song pulls up are numerous and not ALL wonderful! I remember hearing this song one Friday when I was in 7th grade. As it turned out, there was a cute 8th grader who supposedly was crushing on me just like I was on him, and was apparently gonna ask me to 'go with him'. Yes, now you must insert the question that every adult had to ask...where are you going together?! No, no, no--that just meant that we were a couple! This was a real cutie, a popular boy, so I was loving the possibilities!

But alas, things didn't turn out that way. As it turned out, he decided to 'go with' one of my good friends instead, partially because even at 13, she was stacked where I obviously wasn't! Oh, the heartbreak! Oh, the drama! I remember crying so hard when I found out that I couldn't even respond...I just handed the phone to my sister and she had to tell my friend that I'd talk to her later. And it really wasn't as much about the boy as it was that this friend had betrayed me. She had known that I had a crush on him, and she broke 'the code' and went with him anyway.

Funny how now I don't even remember the boy's name, but I know that when I forgave my friend after she apologized, it was the beginning of a lifelong friendship. She realized that a)she shouldn't have done that and b)that I was a true friend, and we started right then becoming much closer. I truly couldn't have made it through the next several years without her friendship! It even lasted me moving 4 hours away and many many long distance phone calls! I'm blessed to say that I even met up with this friend a few months ago with our kids!

Obviously, this story had a happy ending where two friends realize that their relationship is much better than anything a passing BOY can offer them!

I wouldn't want to mention this period of my life without giving respect to another friend at that time who is no longer with us. Allen Gibson was SUCH a nice guy. He was good buddies with the aforementioned boy, and hung around some with the rest of us, too. I ran into him years later when I was working in a neighboring county, and he was just as nice then as he had been in middle school. Sadly, he will killed on the job about a year later. He was a Virginia State Trooper, and was shot by someone he was trying to apprehend in a crime. This was the first time that I had actually known someone my age who died, and it was such a tragic waste! So know that this memory comes with a tiny bit of sadness as I remember the great man Allen did not get the chance to become!



How about you? Link up your favorite memory relating to something in the past here! We'd love to have you join us!

1 comment:

PMKU said...

Whitney ruled the world when she first came out and we were all listening to her. lol - Great Flash Back!