Monday, July 20, 2009

You know you're a sister when...

sisters



I am very blessed with two real-life sisters. I am also blessed with several friends who I consider my "sisters of another mother." But most recently, I have discovered that I belong to another sisterhood....a sisterhood that didn't exist a mere 10 years ago. You see, I'm a blogging sister, and therefore have a digital kinship with other women who choose to share their lives 'out there' with the world online.

How do I know that these people are my sisters??

I know they are my sisters....because they GET me.
They understand why I put myself--all the ugly, secret, hurting, happy, silly, crazy things that make up ME--out there for all the world to read.

I know they are my sisters....because the SUPPORT me.
On those days when I'm not quite sure how I'm going to put one foot in front of the other...on the days when I am distressed because of a real life situation....on the days that I request prayer, but can't even verbalize why....they are there. My blogging sisters let me know that they, too, have been there, and that they'll be here for me no matter what.

I know they are my sisters....because they KNOW me.
And I mean it in this way: they know the deep inside me. They don't know the me who weighs more than I did in college, the one who teaches, the one who is kin to so-and-so, the one who goes to that church, or the one who I've heard did that. They know me from the inside out. They might not recognize me right off if they saw me on the street, but if I wore a t-shirt sporting the front page of my blog, they'd be the first to run up and hug me! They know me by my words, and that is to know me in a profound way!

If you aren't part of this sisterhood, you don't know what you are missing. But I also don't know how to explain how this sisterhood has enriched my life! I have laughed til I cried, I have wept for the pain of others, and I have hit the ground face down in prayer to my Jesus over words I've read from these ladies.

They ARE my sisters...and that is all I know!

If you'd like to more know about The Sister Project or the contest that inspired this post, visit the hyperlinked pages in this sentence!

4 comments:

Theresa said...

What a great post for me to introduce me to you. I have found amazing sisters in the blog world. That circle expands everyday!!!

Amanda said...

I like this... I too am a part of this sisterhood, and I treasure it so close to my heart!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

What a wonderful post... it is so true how blogging has opened up a world of "sisters"...those that I have never met face to face...yet have been a source of encouragement and laughter and understanding...

I'm glad I started blogging and that I follow yours now to as a fellow blogging sister :o)

Blessings!

Mel said...

i adore bloggy sisters, they are blessings from above.